Sunday, May 24, 2009

Testing Windows 7 RC1

My nephew Tony, and some others have asked me to post my findings on Windows 7. Here is a log of what I find as I find it. Mostly I am happy with it, having tested an earlier version, I am testing this version to see how stable it is.

Fri 7:45am May 22
Testing Windows 7. Better than Vista at least. Still some minor compatibility issues.
System is a single core (I don't want to hear it) AMD processor with 1.5gb ram.
Sound card is not happy, no sound for now.
Had to replace my ATI video card with a slightly newer Nvidia e-GeoForce 6200. Video must be able to play with Directx 10 to use the Aero feature. Good luck finding an AGP slot video card these days.

Fri 11:28pm May 22
Mahjong Titans Rocks!

10:23am May 22
Sound card is happy again. Must remember to use the Vista drivers when reinstalling things.
Office 2007 installed and working, no problems.
Turned on the new text messaging feature in Outlook and it is working perfectly. Outlook will now text me if Jeri or one of the websites I'm developing send me an email message. Very cool feature, nothing to do with Win7, but still very cool.

11:28pm May 22
Palm Software is playing mostly nice, the status message gives an error after syncing with my phone. Kind of ironic. Sync works fine otherwise
Gadgets are working nicely, I can see weather in Oregon, California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah all across top top of my screen.
Aero feature is working nicely.

9:00pm May 23
HP Photoshop 2600 printer is working, had to use the Vista drivers from HP. Cannot see the 7500 printer as it is on a different branch of our home network.
Abobe Reader and Flash install and working with no issues.
Adobe Shockwave would not install - OS not supported.
Borrowed some RAM from my son Patrick and upgraded system to 2.5gb. Like most MS products, Win7 likes the extra RAM. The monitor gadget say's I'm using 42.16% right now with Outlook, IE8, and 11 gadgets running. Not bad will see how it plays tomorrow when I have about 4 - 6 Word docs open for homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment